The Alliance for Water Efficiency is committed to promoting the efficient and sustainable use of water. Conserving water and using water efficiently is critical to ensuring that water resources are available now and in the future to support healthy economies, ecosystems, communities and individuals.
The Alliance for Water Efficiency uses the following principles to guide its research, advocacy, outreach and educational efforts.
1. Significant opportunities exist for increasing water efficiency and water conservation.
2. Everyone has a responsibility to use water efficiently and not waste water.
3. Saving water helps save money and reduces future water supply and infrastructure costs.
4. Saving water helps save energy and reduces climate change impacts.
5. Maintaining the sustainable, natural function of our water resources is essential to their continued use for all living things in this and future generations.
6. Water efficiency and conservation best management practices are essential to restore impaired water resources.
7. Water efficiency and conservation are fundamental resource planning tools and should be considered equally with the other means of meeting our water needs.
8. Cost-effective water efficiency and conservation options should be maximized prior to developing new sources of water.
9. Water supply and water/wastewater services should be priced at full cost of development, treatment, and distribution, including depreciation.
10. In all its efforts, the Alliance will strive to:
Download Guiding Principles Sheet »
a. Engage all stakeholders involved in resource efficiency issues.
b. Actively build and promote productive and positive relationships among stakeholders.
c. Promote increased scientific rigor for analysis and verification of water efficiency and conservation programs.
d. Develop and promote water-conserving best management practices that increase the efficiency of water use.
e. Promote strong water efficiency codes, uniform standards, incentives and policies.
f. Promote the inclusion of the best available water efficiency technology, designs and practices in all green building programs.
g. Stand as the premier source of information on water efficiency and conservation programs, products, and policies.
h. Achieve climate neutrality.
i. Urge the Alliance membership to commit to practicing these principles in their own organizational activities.