Water-Wise Landscape Design
Developing a comprehensive water-wise landscape plan will enable the creation of a beautiful water efficient outdoor space that maximizes the utility of existing landscape features.
Listed below are eight fundamental steps for designing and maintaining a water-wise landscape as presented In the Handbook of Water Use and Conservation, (2001 Water Plow Press) by Amy Vickers.
- Group plants according to their water needs
- Use native and low-water-use plants
- Limit turf areas to those needed for practical purposes
- Use efficient irrigation systems
- Schedule irrigation wisely
- Provide healthy soil
- Mulch over soil and around plants to reduce evaporation
- Regular maintenance